Feb 07, 2023
DAE 165LC - Dental Assisting Procedures I 1 Credits, 4 Contact Hours
0 lecture periods 4 lab periods
Dental Assisting Procedures Clinical I This is the clinical portion of DAE 165 . Techniques and procedures of chairside dental assisting. Includes dental equipment and room design; chairside assisting and team approach; procedures applied in clinical treatment; and computer systems and technology in the dental environment. Also includes the application of student supervised experience in performing dental assisting functions in the clinical setting on patients.
Corequisite(s): DAE 159 , DAE 160 , DAE 161 , DAE 162 , DAE 162LB , DAE 163 , DAE 163LC , DAE 164 , DAE 164LB , DAE 165
Information: Consent of program coordinator is required before enrolling in this course.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate competency in the knowledge and skills required to systematically collect diagnostic data.
- Demonstrate competency in the knowledge and skills required to perform a variety of clinical supportive treatments.
- Demonstrate competency in the knowledge and skills required to perform a variety of business office procedures.
- Demonstrate competency in the knowledge and skills required to manage infection hazard control protocol consistent with published professional guidelines.
- Define and explain state and federal dental laws and regulations.
- Dental Equipment and Room Design
- Dental chair
- Operator’s/assistant’s chair
- Dental unit
- Mobile unit
- Dental light
- Central vacuum
- Care of equipment
- Zones of operation
- Placement of operating equipment
- Positions of participants
- Classification of motions
- Preparation of patient
- Seating and draping
- Receiving and dismissing
- Charts and radiographs available
- Chairside Assisting and Team Approach: Four-Six Handed Dentistry
- Oral evacuation
- Suction tip and mirror placement
- Instrument transfer
- Handpiece transfer
- Stages of instrument transfer
- Preparing set-ups
- Basic examinations
- Oral examinations
- Anesthetic tray set-up
- Chairside Procedures Applied in Clinical Treatment
- Restorative tray set-up
- Periodontic tray set-up
- Surgical tray set-up
- Endodontic tray set-up
- Orthodontic tray set-up
- Fixed prosthodontic tray set-up
- Prosthdontic tray set-up
- Pediatric dentistry
- Application of sterilization, sanitation, and disinfection where applicable
- Computer Systems and Technology in the Dental Environment
- Charting and recording dental conditions
- Documenting treatment and treatment plan
- Application of Proper Dental Assisting Procedures Utilizing Live Patients
Full Academic Year 2017/18
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)