Jan 21, 2022
DAE 159 - Introduction to Health Care for Dental Assisting 2 Credits, 2 Contact Hours
2 lecture periods 0 lab periods
Basic skills essential to working successfully with patients and co-workers in dental offices and clinics, as a member of the dental health team. Includes study skills, psychology, vital signs, communication in the dental environment, job entry skills, research, and oral speech projects.
Corequisite(s): DAE 160 , DAE 161 , DAE 162 , DAE 162LB , DAE 163 , DAE 163LC , DAE 164 , DAE 164LB , DAE 165 , DAE 165LC
Information: Consent of program coordinator is required before enrolling in this course.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate competency in the knowledge and skills required to systematically collect diagnostic data.
- Demonstrate competency in the knowledge and skills required to perform a variety of business office procedures.
- Demonstrate competency in the knowledge and skills required to manage infection hazard control protocol consistent with published professional guidelines.
- Define and explain state and federal dental laws and regulations.
- Study Skills and Psychology
- College study skills
- Reading skills/note taking
- Learning styles
- Learning skills
- Library – computer lab orientations/skills
- Critical thinking
- Psychology of human behavior
- Goal setting/Maslow’s hierarchy of needs
- Stress and stress management
- Patient fear of dentistry
- Concepts of wellness
- Effects of health and disease
- Vital Signs
- Blood pressure
- Communication in the Dental Environment
- Teamwork and office communication
- Verbal and non-verbal communication
- Listening skills
- The handicapped patient
- The elderly patient
- The child and adolescent patient
- Job Entry Skills
- The job search
- Job application
- Resume and cover letter
- The Job interview
- Role playing
- Working interview
- Research and Oral Speech Projects
- Research paper
- Access networked resources
- Use library/periodicals
- Oral presentation to class
- Group dynamics
Full Academic Year 2017/18
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)