Sep 30, 2022
DAE 164 - Dental Materials 2 Credits, 2 Contact Hours
2 lecture periods 0 lab periods
Chemical and physical properties of dental materials used in dental practice. Includes introduction to dental materials, preventive sealants, restorative materials, dental cements, impression materials, gypsum products, and miscellaneous dental materials. Also includes gold, non-precious alloys, and casting of metals.
Corequisite(s): DAE 159 , DAE 160 , DAE 161 , DAE 162 , DAE 162LB , DAE 163 , DAE 163LC , DAE 164LB , DAE 165 , DAE 165LC
Information: Consent of program coordinator is required before enrolling in this course. DHE 132 can be substituted for DAE 164 if completed within the last three years, see academic advisor or faculty for information regarding course substitution.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate competency in the knowledge and skills required to systematically collect diagnostic data.
- Demonstrate competency in the knowledge and skills required to perform a variety of clinical supportive treatments.
- Demonstrate competency in the knowledge and skills required to manage infection hazard control protocol consistent with published professional guidelines.
- Define and explain state and federal dental laws and regulations.
- Demonstrate knowledge of properties, usage, and manipulation of dental materials.
- Introduction to Dental Materials
- American Dental Association (ADA) specifications
- Properties of matter
- Physical and chemical properties required for dental materials
- Handling materials
- Hazardous substances
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations
- Safe use of laboratory equipment
- Preventive Sealants and Restorative Materials
- Types of preventive sealants
- Indications for use
- Properties, advantages, and disadvantages
- Direct filling materials
- Finish and polish esthetic and amalgam restorations
- Dental Cements
- Temporary and permanent cements and cement bases
- Composition and uses of various types
- Manipulation of cements
- Cavity liners and varnishes
- Special applications of cements
- Impression Materials
- Types of impression materials
- Types of impression trays
- Agar hydrocolloid (reversible hydrocolloid)
- Rubber impression materials and elastomers
- Bite registration
- Disinfection of impressions
- Gypsum Products
- Classification and uses of gypsum products
- Composition and manufacture
- Construction of model, cast, or die
- Model trimming
- Miscellaneous Dental Materials
- Uses of resins and acrylic
- Dental ceramics and porcelain
- Polishing and cleaning agents
- Periodontal dressings
- Gold, Non-Precious Alloys and Casting of Metals
- Gold foil
- Gold casting alloys
- Wrought metals
- Dental implant materials
Full Academic Year 2018/19
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)