Dec 03, 2021
BCT 145 - Carpentry I 4 Credits, 6 Contact Hours
2 lecture periods 4 lab periods
Theories and concepts for carpentry. Includes orientation to the trade, wood building materials, fasteners and adhesive, hand and power tools, floor systems, wall, ceiling, and roof framing, and windows and exterior doors.
Prerequisite(s): BCT 105 and BCT 107 or concurrent enrollment.
Information: BCT 100 , BCT 112 , and BCT 115 substitute for BCT 105 , BCT 111 , BCT 113 , and BCT 114 substitute for BCT 107 .
Course Learning Outcomes
- Describe the history of the carpentry trade and the importance of safety in the construction industry.
- Explain the terms commonly used in discussing wood and lumber and the different types of fasteners and adhesives.
- Demonstrate the proper use of hand, portable power, and stationary power tools.
- Demonstrate how to layout and construct different types of framing systems and floor assemblies.
- Demonstrate how to construct wall and ceiling framing.
- Describe the terms associated and the various types of materials used with roof framing.
- Explain the procedures for installing the various types of fixed, sliding, and swinging windows and exterior doors.
- Orientation to the Trade
- History of the carpentry trade
- Modern carpentry
- Opportunities in the construction industry
- Human relations
- Safety in the construction industry
- Wood Building Materials, Fasteners, and Adhesives
- Lumber sources and uses
- Lumber defects and grading
- Plywood and building boards
- Engineered wood
- Nails, screws, anchors, and adhesives
- Hand and Power Tools
- Types of hand and portable power tools
- Types of stationary power tools
- Floor Systems
- Methods of framing houses
- Working drawings and specifications
- The floor system
- Laying out and constructing a floor assembly
- Installing joists and girders
- Wall and Ceiling Framing
- Components of a wall
- Laying out a wall
- Assembly and installation of a wall
- Ceiling lay out and framing
- Roof Framing
- Types of roofs
- Basic roof layout
- Laying out hips and valleys
- Rafter layout
- Truss construction
- Windows and Exterior Doors
- Types of windows
- Window construction
- Window installation
- Types of exterior doors
- Door sizes, thresholds, and weatherstripping
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)