Learn to assist dentists and other dental professionals in patient care. Complete at least 336 hours of clinical work in dental clinics or offices. This program is accredited by the American Dental Association Commission on Dental Accreditation.
Before enrolling in this program, you must meet certain requirements:
This certificate requires a special program application. Students may request a program application available at:
Because of the clinical component of this program, students must:
- Be able to perform a number of physical activities in the clinical portion of the program. At a minimum, students will need to stand for several hours at a time and perform bending activities. The clinical experience also places students under considerable mental and emotional stress as they undertake responsibilities and duties impacting patients’ lives. Students must be able to demonstrate rational and appropriate behavior under stressful conditions. Individuals should give careful consideration to the mental and physical demands of the program prior to submitting an application.
- Present proof of immunization and/or immunity for MMR/Varicella/Hepatitis-B/TDaP/Influenza.
- Proof of negative TB skin test or negative chest x-ray for TB within the last two years.
- Maintain health insurance and a current CPR card at the Health Care Provider Level throughout the program.
- Completed health declaration form from a licensed care provider.
- Present proof of current Arizona DPS Fingerprint Clearance Card; additional background screening and drug screening may be required.
What can I do with this certificate?
Career Options: Take the exams to gain National Dental Assisting Certification, Arizona Oral Radiology Certification and Coronal Polishing Certification. Work as a dental assistant in hospitals, clinics and dental offices.
Academic Options: Continue your studies by taking courses toward the Dental Hygienist AAS degree.
Gainful Employment Information: www.pima.edu/ge-crtdentassis
Program Director: 520-206-6044
Limited Admissions Program:
Students must meet the preparatory coursework and any other prerequisites and apply to the program. Depending on available spots, students may be placed on a waiting list before starting the program. See the website or an advisor for details.
Dental Assisting Interest Program/Major Codes: PREPDAEP/9DAE - Students in preparatory coursework may be eligible for Title IV loans only; see a financial aid specialist for more information.
Dental Assisting Program/Major Codes: CRTDENTASSIS/DAE