Nov 30, 2023
FSC 170C - Fire Service Leadership III 1 Credits, 1 Contact Hours
1 lecture period 0 lab periods
Continuation of FSC 170B . Includes practical training for fire service leadership and supervision. Also includes situational leadership, delegation, coaching, and discipline.
Prerequisite(s): FSC 149
Information: This course meets National Fire Academy (NFA) requirements for Leadership I, II, and III. FSC 170A , FSC 170B , and FSC 70C together constitute FSC 170 .
Course Learning Outcomes
- Identify the basic leadership behaviors and styles.
- Identify the levels of employee development.
- Demonstrate the ability to match employee development with leadership styles.
- Identify ways of matching leadership styles to diverse populations of employees.
- Define delegation and identify the benefits derived from and the barriers that prevent effective delegation.
- Identify the four critical coaching techniques.
- Define coaching techniques and demonstrate the ability to match coaching techniques with subordinate performance.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the uses of discipline to correct improper employee behavior.
- Identify methods for applying discipline consistently, fairly, and impartially.
- Situational Leadership
- Leadership styles
- Employee development levels
- Matching leadership styles with employee development levels
- Matching leadership styles to diverse populations
- Principles of effective delegation
- Benefits and barriers to effective delegation
- Definition and coaching techniques
- Characteristics of an effective coach
- Matching coaching style with employee development
- Training versus counseling
- Positive versus negative discipline
- Correcting behavior
- Rules and regulations
- Progressive discipline
- Disciplinary interview
- Consistency in discipline methods
Full Academic Year 2017/18
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)