Oct 27, 2021
FSC 149 - Fire Operations I 4 Credits, 5 Contact Hours
3 lecture periods 2 lab periods
Specialized classroom and practical experience in the techniques of firefighting. Includes the chemistry of fire, use of water and other agents, firefighting equipment and its uses, firefighting practices and safety.
Information: Completion of FSC 149 and FSC 150 will help prepare the student for successful completion of State of Arizona Firefighter I & II practical evaluations. Only when taken as a part of the Pima Community College Fire Academy can students be concurrently enrolled in FSC 149 and FSC 150 .
Course Learning Outcomes
- Students will be able familiar with agencies that regulate fire and demonstrate knowledge of the properties, characteristics and classes of fire.
- Students will know the importance of and how to utilize the different types of personal protective equipment necessary to maintain a safe environment.
- Students will be familiar with the different types of ladders, as well as how to use and maintain them.
- Students will be able to utilize different types of fire extinguishers and will have an extensive knowledge base related to what extinguishing agents to use for different types of fires.
- Students will be able to explain the reasons ventilation may be necessary, and to determine what types of ventilation will be most beneficial for different types of fires.
- Students will be knowledgeable about all of the tolls and hoses on the apparatus. They will be able to utilize and maintain all of the tools on the apparatus.
- Identify the various agencies that regulate the fire service.
- Discuss the properties and characteristics of fire.
- List the appropriate personal protective equipment for a given situation.
- Put on a self-contained breathing apparatus within National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) guidelines.
- Describe the classes of fire.
- Describe the appropriate extinguishing agent for a specific class of fire.
- Describe the chemical and physical nature of different extinguishing agents.
- Demonstrate the use of different types of fire extinguishers on different classes of fires.
- Describe the different types of hose and appliances.
- Demonstrate the advancement of hose lines.
- Demonstrate the maintenance of hose and appliances.
- Describe the different types of fire service ladders.
- Demonstrate raising and lowering different types of ladders.
- Demonstrate the maintenance of fire service ladders.
- Locate tools carried on a fire apparatus.
- Demonstrate the appropriate use of fire service hand tools.
- Explain the different types of ventilation
- Identify the reasons for the ventilation.
- Discuss the importance of firefighter safety.
- Introduction and Orientation
- Rules and regulations
- Manuals and procedures
- Fire Behavior
- Chemistry and properties of fire
- Heat and combustion
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Breathing Apparatus
- Fire Extinguishers
- Classes of fire
- Extinguishing agents
- Fire Hose and Appliances
- Sizes and types
- Identification, selection and use of nozzles
- Fire Extinguishment
- Fire streams
- Fire protection systems
- Water supply systems
- Tools and Equipment
- Firefighter Safety
- Fire fighting
Full Academic Year 2021/2022
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)