The Associate of Applied Science program increases the knowledge and skill of the EMT and AEMT in advanced life support including endotracheal intubation, cardiac arrhythmia recognition and intervention. The program also includes drug therapy, invasive procedures, advanced airway management, and I.V. therapy.
Before enrolling in this program, you must meet certain admission requirements:
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support for the Healthcare Provider certification card. This card must remain current throughout the paramedic program and the certification process
- Current EMT or higher prehospital certification, at either the National Registry or State of Arizona certification.
- This certification MUST remain current throughout the paramedic program and certificate process. A lapse in certification will result in immediate expulsion from the program.
- Documentation of being 18 years old.
- Reading assessment at the 9th grade level.
- Current health insurance coverage. This coverage must remain current throughout the course of training and the certification process.
- Negative results of a 5-panel drug screening within 6 months of the course start date. Screening must include:
- Provide proof of immunity or immunization for the following:
- Proof of negative TB test or chest X-ray within 6 months prior to application as defined in R9-25-308 (D) and proof of annual TB testing while enrolled in the program.
- Measles (Rubeola)/Mumps/Rubella.
- Tetanus/Diphtheria within the last 10 years.
- Results of serological testing showing Hepatitis B (HBV) immunization, begin HBV vaccination series, or sign the release of liability claims/declination form.
- Flu Shot (this needs to be obtained during flu season, see program staff for dates)
- Evidence of a current Background Security Clearance
- Successfully Screen for the following areas:
- ALS written exam
- Oral Board screening
- Practicals screening
What can I do with this degree?
Career Options: Paramedic
Academic Options: This program may apply toward a Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS). See an advisor.
Program Manager: 520-206-3502
Competitive Admissions Program:
Students must meet the preparatory coursework and any other prerequisites and apply to the program. Only the most qualified students are admitted to the program. See the website or an advisor for details.
Paramedic Interest Program/Major Codes: AOA9ALA/9EMD
Paramedic Program/Major Codes: AASEMD/EMD1