May 29, 2023
ART 215 - Painting I 3 Credits, 5 Contact Hours
2 lecture periods 3 lab periods
Introduction to the fundamentals of oil painting. Includes basic painting techniques and processes, manipulation of compositional elements and formal and contemporary pictorial organization in various genres, surface preparation, personal direction and artistic expression, and health and safety in the painting studio.
Recommendation: Completion of ART 115 before enrolling in this course. If any recommended course is taken, see a financial aid or Veteran’s Affairs advisor to determine funding eligibility as appropriate.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Implement basic painting techniques and processes.
- Develop compositional elements in oil or acrylic paint which includes formal pictorial organization.
- Demonstrate each of the following: monochromatic and polychromatic painting; landscape/architectural painting; figure painting; portrait painting which can address the illusion of mass and either atmospheric space and/or linear perspective.
- Explore preparation of various matrixes, including the stretching of canvas, and panel and paper preparation.
- Demonstrate artistic development by using observational and/or photographic resources, participating in individual and group critiques, and exploring and developing personal direction.
- Discuss health and safety standards applied in a painting studio.
- Basic Painting Techniques and Processes
- Glazing, grisaille, impasto
- Indirect: underpainting/overpainting, layering, glazing
- Direct: alla prima, impasto, wet-in-wet
- Palette/color mixing techniques
- Development of Compositional Elements and Formal Pictorial Organization
- Line, shape, texture
- Color and value, modeling with paint
- Linear and atmospheric space
- Demonstrate the Manipulation of Pictorial Elements in Genres
- Still life and viewpoint
- Landscape/architectural space: atmospheric and linear perspective
- The body and portrait: the depiction of mass and context
- Art historical references and movements
- Surface Preparation
- Paper preparation techniques
- Board preparation techniques
- How to build a canvas and other preparation techniques
- Artistic Development
- Incorporate critical thinking into creative process
- Observe, examine, and discover to create with personal direction
- Health and Safety in the Painting Studio
- Toxins, pigments, mediums and solvents
- Exposure to skin
- Sink maintenance
- Easel maintenance
- Paint cabinet maintenance
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)