Dec 03, 2023
ART 115 - Color and Composition 3 Credits, 5 Contact Hours
2 lecture periods 3 lab periods
Introduction to recognizing color principles and relationships and analyzing and duplicating colors. Includes values scale, color wheel, intensity, color relationships, transparency, dimension, luminosity, and creative projects.
Recommendation: Completion of ART 100 before enrolling in this course. If any recommended course is taken, see a financial aid or Veteran’s Affairs advisor to determine funding eligibility as appropriate.
Gen-Ed: Meets AGEC - FA; Meets CTE - A&H.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Analyze the composition of a color according to its hue, value, and intensity.
- Analyze color relationships.
- Reproduce any color with pigments.
- Create the illusions of dimension, light, and transparency with color.
- Use a variety of mediums.
- Value Scale
- Color Wheel
- Intensity Exercise
- Joseph Albers or Other Color Relationship Exercises
- Transparency Exercise
- Dimension Exercise
- Luminosity Exercise
- Major Creative Project that Shows Movement with Color and/or Explores Transparency, Dimension, and/or Luminosity
- Major Creative Project Involving the Analysis and Duplication of Colors
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)