Sep 27, 2023
MLT 299WK - Advanced Co-op Work: Medical Laboratory Technician 7.5 Credits, 22.5 Contact Hours
0 lecture periods 22.5 lab periods
A supervised cooperative work program for students in an occupation related area. Teacher-coordinators work with students and their supervisors in a hospital or clinic laboratory. The student develops competency and improved self confidence in the laboratory workplace.
Prerequisite(s): MLT 100IN (or MLT 100 and MLT 100LB ), MLT 240IN , MLT 275IN , MLT 285IN , MLT 230IN , MLT 250IN , and MLT 265IN
Corequisite(s): MLT 299
Information: Consent of instructor is required before enrolling in this course. Students complete a minimum of 338 clock hours of supervised placement at approved work site.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Apply the basic principles, knowledge, and skills learned in the classroom to evaluate and interpret laboratory test results for accuracy and efficiency.
- Complete a clinical rotation at an assigned CLIA licensed laboratory facility for a minimum of 338 hours in hematology, coagulation, chemistry, urinalysis, body fluids, microbiology, serology, and blood bank/transfusion medicine.
- Improve critical thinking and organizational skills by attending class, completing assignments, and participating in problem-solving discussions.
- Assigned Clinical Rotation Site
- A minimum of 338 hours experiencing:
- Body fluids
- Blood bank/transfusion medicine
- Review Progress
- Job-site supervisor review of performance, Preceptor evaluation of student
- Hours completed
- Evaluate, perform, and interpret laboratory test and results
- Review completion of student’s objectives/activities
- Student evaluation of clinical rotation experience
Full Academic Year 2018/19
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)