Aug 01, 2021
FSC 270 - Leadership I for Fire Service Executives 1 Credits, 1 Contact Hours
1 lecture period 0 lab periods
Concepts, techniques, and application of effective executive leadership. Includes leadership styles and characteristics, the effective executive, and leaders with vision, influence and motivation. Also includes being a change facilitator in a traditional organization, and the future of leadership.
Prerequisite(s): FSC 170
Course Learning Outcomes
- Describe the characteristics of an effective executive and how effectiveness can be learned.
- Synthesize and discuss the many elements of organizational change theory and how you can facilitate the technical changes and the personal changes.
- Explain the leadership paradox of being the visionary, giving the organization direction, while working within a realistic context.
- List examples of leaders who would be successful in a global, technological, socially competitive society.
- Differentiate techniques for creating a culture with leaders at all levels of the organization and give examples of the one that may be most effective for you.
- Utilize concepts and techniques to cope with various leadership challenges of the present and future.
- Leaders, Heroes, CEOs, and Celebrities
- Leadership Styles and Characteristics
- Ostrich and others
- The Effective Executive
- Trust and credibility
- Maximizing resources
- Development of other leaders
- Leaders and Managers with Heads in the Clouds and Feet on the Ground
- Being a Change Facilitator in a Traditional Organization
- Change theory
- The role of the change agent, manager, and facilitator
- Leaders of the Future: Same or Different?
- Many leaders within a traditional hierarchy
- Legal issues and policy development
- Social and community issues
- Power, politics, and partnerships (sharing power)
- Your Future as a Leader
- Career management, leaving a legacy, transactional and transformational
- Leading the metropolitan fire service agency of the future
Full Academic Year 2017/18
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)