Sep 29, 2022
DHE 216 - Community and Dental Health Education 3 Credits, 3 Contact Hours
3 lecture periods 0 lab periods
Overview of public dental health education. Includes critiquing dental literature, community dental health planning, basic biostatistics, and epidemiology and research in the dental community. Also includes dental needs and demands, dental care delivery and prevention in the United States.
Prerequisite(s): DHE 208 , DHE 208LC , DHE 209 , DHE 212 , DHE 250 , and DHE 250LC .
Corequisite(s): DHE 213 , DHE 213CA , DHE 213CB , DHE 255 , DHE 255LC
Information: Students must be admitted to the PCC Dental Hygiene program and obtain consent of the Dental Hygiene department before enrolling in this course.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Develop a dental health presentation based on the needs of a population.
- Integrate, synthesize, and evaluate a dental health program in a variety of settings.
- Demonstrate educational principles of learning during the oral health presentation.
- Perform, analyze, and interpret data for: central tendency, reliability, validity, and probability.
- Critique a professional journal article for content and research.
- Explain the dental health care system in the United States.
- Discuss the dental needs, demand, and utilization in the United States.
- Discuss the history, benefits, and issues of water fluoridation in the United States.
- Critiquing Dental Literature
- Criteria for review
- The scientific method
- Steps in Community Dental Health Program Planning
- Assessing the population
- Planning the program
- Implementing the program
- Education strategies
- Principles and methods
- Learning and teaching
- Evaluating the program
- Basic Biostatistics
- Data statistics
- Statistical decision making
- Caries indices
- Gingival and periodontal indices
- Other indices
- Research in the Dental Community
- Types of research
- Ethical and legal considerations in research
- Dental Needs and Demand in the United States
- Dental Care Delivery in the United States
- Prevention of Oral Disease in Public Health
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)