Jan 18, 2022
ARC 284 - Computer Cartography and CAD 3 Credits, 5 Contact Hours
2 lecture periods 3 lab periods
Cartographic techniques and hardware for computer generation of maps. Includes an introduction to: methods and techniques, and application projects.
Prerequisite(s): ANT 265 /ARC 265 /GEO 265 /GIS 265 or concurrent enrollment.
Information: Same as ANT 284 /GIS 284 .
Course Learning Outcomes
- Relate the concepts associated with cartographic software.
- Configure and operate the hardware.
- Use the application software and associated commands.
- Enter data from a variety of sources.
- Assemble data and construct maps from various data sources.
- Demonstrate skills in applying knowledge to archaeological applications.
- Hardware Configuration
- The Software Environment
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Graphic Portrayal Packages
- Desktop Mapping
- Cartographic Concepts and Terms
- Methods and Techniques
- Program Capability
- Archaeological Applications
- Data Sources
- Applying Commands in CAD
- Data Importing and Manipulation
- Data Transfer and Transformation
- Raster and Vector Conversions
- Application Projects
- Tutorial Projects: Learning Commands
- Tutorial Projects: Applying Commands and Concepts
- Digitizing Maps
- Thematic Maps
- Maps From Field Data
- Data and Maps From Satellite Imagery
Full Academic Year 2017/18
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)