Learn pre-hospital emergency medical care, including physical assessment, medical techniques and ambulance operations. This program is approved by the Arizona Department of Health Services, Bureau of Emergency Medical Services towards certification as an EMT in the State of Arizona.
Before enrolling in this program you must meet certain admission requirements:
- Be 18 years old when class starts.
- Provide proof of a negative drug screening; obtain a drug screen form and instructions from the EMT Service Center at East Campus.
- Provide a fingerprint clearance card or be fingerprinted the first day of class.
- Have cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certification at the Healthcare Provider level with at least 6 months left in the certification period. This card must remain current throughout the EMT program and the certification process.
- Have the ability to lift 125 pounds alone and 250 pounds with a partner.
- Must provide proof of personal medical insurance. This coverage must remain current throughout the course.
- Score at least 84 on the College Reading Assessment test.
- Meet with EMT Service Center staff prior to enrolling in the course.
- Provide immunization records for: Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR), Varicella (VZV, Varivax)
- Tetanus/Diphtheria (adult type e.g., Td or Tdap) within the last ten years.
- Tuberculosis (TB) screening indicating negative activity (given no more than six months prior to the beginning of the course)
- Hepatitis B vaccination series (HBV is encouraged but is not required)
- Flu vaccine is highly encouraged
EMT Program information is available online at https://pima.edu/academics-programs/degrees-certificates/public-safety/emergency-med-technology/emt-cert/index.html
Certification testing requires an additional fee to the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). Students with felony and some misdemeanor convictions may not be eligible for certification—contact the Arizona Department of Health Services for additional information about eligibility.
What can I do with this certificate?
Career Options: Take required Arizona and National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians exams that qualify you to work as an emergency medical technician.
Academic Options: Once you receive EMT certification and work as an emergency medical technician, continue your studies by pursuing the Paramedic Associate of Applied Science Degree.
EMT Lab: 520-206-7839
Conditional Enrollment Program:
You will be eligible to enroll in EMT course once you have completed the requirement listed above and the Department has authorized your enrollment. See the program director or advisor for more information.
Conditional Program/Major Codes: CRDEMEDTEC-B/9EMS