Sep 21, 2023
WRT 205 - Introduction to Poetry Writing 3 Credits, 3 Contact Hours
3 lecture periods 0 lab periods
Writing contemporary poetry. Includes poetry writing techniques, evaluation and critical response to poems, and original writing.
Prerequisite(s): WRT 102 with a C or better.
Gen-Ed: Meets AGEC - FA; Meets - CTE - A&H.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Describe purpose, function, and effects of poetry writing techniques
- Evaluate and critically respond to poetry.
- Apply poetry writing techniques to original writing.
- Demonstrate digital literacy through reading poetry texts online, creating web/blog posts, or analyzing material in an online literary magazine/journal.
- Poetry Writing Techniques
- Devices of sound
- Imagery and metaphor
- Rhythm and the poetic line
- Diction, tone, and voice
- Evaluation and Critical Response to Poems
- Defining elements of a poem
- Applying poetic terms to analysis
- Critiquing others’ writing
- Crafting essays on works of professional poets
- Original Writing
- Brainstorming and generating ideas
- Writing poems in various formats
- Writing of at least eight original poems
- Editing and revising
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)