Feb 07, 2023
WRT 126 - Basics of Short Story Writing 3 Credits, 3 Contact Hours
3 lecture periods 0 lab periods
Short fiction writing for beginners. Includes beginning fiction writing techniques, beginning critical responses to fiction, and beginning original writing.
Information: May be taken three times for a maximum of nine credit hours. If this course is repeated, see a financial aid or Veteran’s Affairs advisor to determine funding eligibility as appropriate.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Describe the purpose, function, and effects of fiction writing techniques.
- Respond critically to fiction.
- Apply fiction writing techniques to original writing.
- Demonstrate digital literacy through reading fiction texts online, creating web/blog posts, or analyzing material in an online literary magazine/journal.
- Beginning Fiction Writing Techniques
- Character development
- Plot and structure
- Point of view
- Beginning Critical Responses to Fiction
- Applying fictional terms to analysis
- Critiquing others’ writing
- Analyzing style
- Describing the total effect of a fictional work
- Beginning Original Writing
- Following a writing process
- Completing writing exercises totaling 6000 words or more
- Composing a short story of at least 2000 words
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)