Dec 03, 2023
WRT 125 - Beginning Poetry Writing 3 Credits, 3 Contact Hours
3 lecture periods 0 lab periods
Poetry for beginners. Includes beginning poetry writing techniques, beginning evaluation and critical response to poems, and beginning original writing.
Information: May be taken three times for a maximum of nine credit hours. If this course is repeated, see a financial aid or Veteran’s Affairs advisor to determine funding eligibility as appropriate.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Describe purpose, function, and effects of poetry writing techniques.
- Evaluate and critically respond to poetry.
- Apply poetry writing techniques to original writing.
- Demonstrate digital literacy through reading poetry texts online, creating web/blog posts, or analyzing material in an online literary magazine/journal.
- Beginning Poetry Writing Techniques
- Devices of sound
- Imagery and metaphor
- Rhythm and the poetic line
- Diction, tone, and voice
- Beginning Evaluation and Critical Response to Poems
- Defining elements of a poem
- Applying poetic terms to analysis
- Critiquing others’ writing
- Crafting essays on works of professional poets
- Beginning Original Writing
- Brainstorming and generating ideas
- Completing class exercises
- Writing of at least eight original poems
- Editing and revising
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)