Nov 28, 2023
THE 220 - Stage Lighting 3 Credits, 5 Contact Hours
2 lecture periods 3 lab periods
Principles of stage lighting design and practice. Includes historical context, electricity and lamps, fixtures, dimming equipment, control equipment, color media use and handling, design techniques, special effects and set up, and safety procedures. Also includes care, maintenance, proper use of lighting equipment, organization of lighting work, and operation.
Corequisite(s): THE 222
Course Learning Outcomes
- Identify and explain use of stage lighting hardware.
- Analyze play scripts for lighting information.
- Apply design principles to generate a lighting design.
- Organize hardware and equipment through proper use of stage lighting paperwork.
- Discuss the additive theory of color mixing.
- Draft a stage lighting plot and generate appropriate paperwork.
- Plan and execute safe special effects.
- Utilize appropriate safety practices to hang, color, focus and patch stage lighting equipment.
- Repair broken equipment.
- Demonstrate basic control board operations.
- Historical Context
- Electricity and Lamps
- Dimming Equipment
- Control Equipment
- Color Media Use and Handling
- Design Techniques
- Special Effects and Set Up
- Stage Lighting Safety Procedures
- Proper Use of Lighting Equipment
- Organization of Lighting Work
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)