Jun 10, 2023
STU 109 - Making Career Choices 2 Credits, 2 Contact Hours
2 lecture periods 0 lab periods
Development of skills and knowledge necessary to make a career selection. Includes career exploration and self-assessments, choosing an occupational area or specific career, and researching potential career opportunities. Also includes degrees and programs of study, goal setting, and job seeking skills.
Information: STU 109 is a 2 credit hour version of STU 106 that expands the career exploration process to include skills and strategies necessary to secure employment in the future.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Use self-assessments to identify work and personal values, skills, personality and interest preferences as they apply to various careers and the career decision making process
- Employ various career research strategies (including experiential learning) to assist in the career exploration process.
- Identify appropriate programs of study and degree requirements for potential career choices.
- Create an educational plan that aligns with chosen educational and career goals and associated steps.
- Define stages of adult career development and their impact on career decision making.
- Gain knowledge of and develop career skills in resume and cover letter writing, interviewing techniques, and workplace culture and attire.
- Work and personal values
- Skills identification and development
- Interest and personality preference inventories
- Career clusters
- Potential career satisfaction through inventory application
- Researching Specific Careers
- Career information resources
- Information literacy and electronic career sources
- Experiential learning such as informational interviews, internships, job shadowing, and volunteer work
- Use of research to modify and further refine the career choice process
- Educational Planning
- Identifying courses required for a degree
- Level of education required for potential career choices
- Path to achieving educational requirements necessary for potential career options
- Goal Setting and Action Planning
- Personal biases and internal barriers
- Setting and attaining goals
- Adult Career Development
- Adult transitions and career fit
- Life stages and career change
- Professional Career Skills
- Résumé and cover letter development
- Letters of recommendation
- Interviewing strategies and practices
- Professional attire
- Workplace culture
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)