Nov 28, 2023
SPA 201 - Intermediate Spanish I [SUN# SPA 2201] 4 Credits, 4 Contact Hours
4 lecture periods 0 lab periods
Continuation of SPA 102 . Includes intermediate grammar structures and vocabulary contexts in oral and written forms and using a variety of materials in the target language and cultures to promote proficiency in reading, writing, speaking and listening.
Prerequisite(s): SPA 102 or required score on Spanish assessment test.
Gen-Ed: Meets AGEC - Options and G; Meets CTE A&H and G.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate Spanish speaking skills by using comprehensible intermediate level structures, vocabulary and pronunciation.
- Identify the main idea and some detail when listening to familiar material or authentic speech and/or answer questions and/or follow instructions in Spanish.
- Recognize main ideas and identify some facts of a simple written text in Spanish based on familiar or authentic material.
- Write and/or respond to questions on familiar topics to express recommendations, wishes, commands, doubt, emotions and/or possibility.
- Demonstrate cultural awareness through speaking and/or writing regarding current events and/or salient traditions in Spanish speaking regions.
- Ask and answer questions using subjunctive mood in the present tense
- Engage in simple conversations on a variety of topics
- Express hopes, doubts and wishes, non-existence, uncertainty
- Predict future occurrences using adverbial clauses
- Give advice and recommendations
- Produce and respond to commands
- Respond appropriately to oral and written questions posed in the classroom
- Produce intelligible pronunciation of Spanish words
- Identify the main idea and specific details in oral speech and authentic selections (such as: interviews, video-clips and songs)
- Ask for clarification when listening to oral speech
- Anticipate and predict information when listening to oral speech
- Answer questions and follow instructions in response to oral speech
- Apply reading strategies to identify the main idea, recognize cognates and false cognates, and use verb tense recognition and previous knowledge to make intelligent guesses
- Indicate both the main idea and specific details when reading a text based largely on familiar and/or authentic material
- Writing Skills
- Apply appropriate spelling and grammar (such as present subjunctive, por vs. para, commands, impersonal constructions, past participles)
- Respond in writing to simple questions based on known topics
- Write organized short compositions on a variety of topics to express recommendations, wishes, commands, doubt, emotions and/or possibility
- Cultural Awareness
- Discuss current events in Spanish speaking regions
- Compare and contrast salient traditions in Spanish speaking regions to personal experience
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)