Nov 28, 2023
MAT 189 - Precalculus II [SUN# MAT 1187] 3 Credits, 3 Contact Hours
3 lecture periods 0 lab periods
Continuation of MAT 188 . College-level trigonometry. Includes trigonometric functions, angle measure, graphs, identities, equations, polar coordinates, conic sections, and calculator use. May also include parametric equations, vectors, and complex numbers.
Prerequisite(s): Within the last three years: MAT 188 with a grade of C or better, or required score on the mathematics assessment test.
Recommendation: This course is intended as an intensive preparation for students who plan to continue with Calculus.
Information: No more than 7 credits may be applied toward graduation from the following list of courses: MAT 151 , MAT 188 , and MAT 189. A graphing calculator is required for this course and will be used extensively.
Gen-Ed: Meets AGEC - MATH; Meets CTE - M&S.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Solve trigonometric equations and verify trigonometric identities.
- Graph trigonometric functions polar equations, and conic sections.
- Solve triangles and real world applications.
- Convert between radians and degrees measures.
- Define, graph, and evaluate the six trigonometric functions and their inverses.
- Solve trigonometric equations algebraically and graphically.
- Use trigonometric identities to simplify expressions and solve equations.
- Graph polar equations; convert between rectangular and polar coordinates.
- Use the standard equations for conic sections and sketch their graphs; identify types of conic sections and determine their features.
- Use a graphing calculator to evaluate, graph, and analyze functions.
- Solve application problems.
- Trigonometric Functions
- Angle measure
- Definition and graphs of the six trigonometric functions
- Trigonometric Identities
- Basic, Pythagorean and Reciprocal
- Sum and difference formulas
- Double angle and half angle formulas
- Sum to product and product to sum (optional)
- Verification of identities
- Inverse trigonometric functions
- Law of Sines and Law of Cosines
- Trigonometric Equations
- Polar Coordinates
- Conversion between rectangular and polar coordinates
- Graphs of polar equations
- Conic Sections
- Standard equations: Parabolas, Circles, Ellipses
- Identification of type of conic section
- Determination of features: center, vertices
- Determination of foci, asymptotes
- Calculator Use
- Numerical calculations and evaluation of functions
- Graphs and analysis of functions
- Additional Topics: select at least one
- Complex Numbers
- Definition and graphical representation
- Conversion between standard form and polar form
- DeMoivre’s Theorem
- Addition, scalar multiplication
- Conversion from rectangular to polar form
- Parametric Equations
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)