Aug 14, 2022
JPN 101 - Elementary Japanese I [SUN# JPN 1101] 5 Credits, 5 Contact Hours
5 lecture periods 0 lab periods
Introduction to the Japanese language. Includes an overview of the Japanese language, speaking and listening, writing and reading, grammar, personal transactions, and the cultural context within which Japanese conversation takes place. Also includes writing and reading of Hiragana, Katakana, and 23 Kanji characters.
Gen-Ed: Meets AGEC - Options; Meets - CTE A&H.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate Japanese speaking skills through topics such as self-introductions, daily routine, and the days of the week using frequency adverbs and comprehensible grammar and pronunciation, and respond to questions accordingly.
- Demonstrate Japanese listening skills by using listening strategies to identify specific details, ask and respond to questions, and follow classroom instruction.
- Demonstrate ability to write using hiragana, katakana and kanji about familiar topics such as your hometown, your college and family members using comprehensible grammar.
- Demonstrate ability to read hiragana, katakana, and kanji in texts, while using reading strategies to identify main ideas, some details, and/or familiar words in Japanese.
- Demonstrate cultural awareness through speaking and/or writing to identify Japanese-speaking regions and recognize how social status affects the use of the Japanese language.
- Overview of the Japanese Language
- Japanese communication styles
- Japanese grammar
- Speaking and Listening
- Oral exercises
- Tapes and listening exercises
- Writing and Reading
- Romaji (Romanization)
- Kanji (approximately 23 new Kanji)
- Writing and reading exercises
- Numerals and counters
- Months, dates, days, and times
- Daily activities (future and past)
- Expressing likes and dislikes
- Adjectival and adverbial expressions
- Polite and plain forms
- Personal Transactions
- Introducing yourself and friends
- Everyday greetings
- Asking locations and showing locations on a map
- Describing one’s town
- Making a phone call
- Asking how much things cost
- Polite requests
- Explaining schedules and daily life
- Cultural Context Within Japanese Conversation
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)