HIT 225 - Advanced Health Management Information Systems
3 Credits, 5 Contact Hours
2 lecture periods 3 lab periods
Continuation of HIT 150 . Applied concepts in Health Information Management (HIM) Systems. Includes the evolution of healthcare legislation and standards; and health records content and documentation. Also includes electronic health record system legislation and implementation; and health information technologies and data analytics.
Prerequisite(s): HIT 150
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Analyze health record documentation for accuracy and completeness.
2. Identify a complete health record according to organizational policies, external regulations, and standards.
3. Differentiate the roles and responsibilities of various providers and disciplines to support documentation requirements throughout the continuum of healthcare.
4. Apply confidentiality, privacy, security measures, and policies and procedures for internal and external use, and exchange to protect electronic health information.
5. Utilize software in the completion of HIM processes.
6. Explain analytics and decision support.
- Discuss the history of federal legislation and regulations related to healthcare delivery.
- Evaluate documentation standards.
- Analyze policies and procedures for electronic health record regulatory compliance.
- Evaluate key components of health information technology.
- Evaluate the policies and processes of EHR implementation.
- Explain the role of data analytics in healthcare information.
- Evolution of Healthcare Legislation and Standards
- The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA)
- Institutional Review Boards
- World Health Organization’s Framework for E-Health Development
- Health Level Seven
- Institute of Medicine (IOM) Reports
- Documentation Standards
- Medical staff bylaws
- Patient safety and quality
- Content of the health record
- Health information media
- Documentation requirements
- Documentation by setting
- Analyze the EHR for completeness
- Content and Ownership
- Electronic Health Record Federal Regulation
- Meaningful Use
- Federal Health IT Strategic Plan
- Nationwide Interoperability Roadmap
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Electronic Health Records (EHR) System Certification
- Health Information Technologies
- Scope of Health IT systems
- Systems Development Life Cycle
- Challenges to EHR implementation
- Technologies designed to support the EHR
- Health Information Exchange
- The Personal Health Record (PHR)
- Implementation of an EHR System
- Steps in implementation
- Migration plan
- Workflow analysis
- Vendor selection
- Cost analysis
- Data Analytics in Healthcare Information
- Clinical measures
- Decision support
- Quality measurement and improvement
- Clinical research
- Data collection
Full Academic Year 2017/18
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)