Nov 28, 2023
FRE 102 - Elementary French II [SUN# FRE 1102] 4 Credits, 4 Contact Hours
4 lecture periods 0 lab periods
Continuation of FRE 101 . Includes further development of oral and written forms, pronunciation, and additional grammatical structures, interpersonal transactions, and geographical and cultural distinctions. Also includes an emphasis on balancing more complex structures with active communication.
Prerequisite(s): FRE 101
Gen-Ed: Meets AGEC - Options; Meets - CTE A&H.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate French speaking skills by expressing events in the past, future, conditional, and/or present tense with comprehensible grammar and pronunciation.
- Use French listening strategies to identify specific details, and/or ask and respond to questions.
- Use reading strategies to identify main ideas, cognates, sequence of events, and/or familiar words in French.
- Demonstrate in written French the ability to narrate in the present, future, and/or past tense.
- Demonstrate cultural awareness through speaking and/or writing in French to identify French-speaking regions and countries in the world, and/or explain cultural topics.
- Use appropriate greetings and expressions in conversation
- Discuss personal and/or preferred experiences in different situations
- Produce a short conversation with someone
- Respond to questions of familiar topics
- Apply the present, compound past – “passe compose” with auxiliary etre, the imperfect, the future, and/or the conditional tenses in conversation and/or speech
- Produce intelligible pronunciation of French words
- Identify the main idea and some detail when listening to a passage based largely on known material.
- Recognize the main idea and some detail of a simple authentic text or one not primarily based on known material.
- Demonstrate comprehension of simple questions based on known topics.
- Apply reading strategies to identify the main idea, recognize cognates and false cognates, and use verb tense recognition and previous knowledge to make intelligent guesses.
- Demonstrate understanding of both the main idea and some detail when reading a text based largely on known material and cognates.
- Recognize the main idea and some detail of a simple authentic text or one not primarily based on known material such as French publications (newspaper, magazines, books).
- Writing Skills
- Apply reasonably accurate spelling, grammar and punctuation
- Formulate and/or answer simple questions based on known topics.
- Write a narration in the past and/or present tense.
- Produce simple autobiographical information
- Describe events using the present, compound past – “passe compose” with auxiliary etre, the imperfect, the future, and/or the Conditional tenses
- Discuss preferred activities in different situations
- Cultural Awareness
- Identify French-speaking regions throughout the world
- Locate French-speaking countries on a map
- Recognize specific cultural practices, customs, and/or traditions
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)