Feb 07, 2023
FSS 208 - Group Fitness Instructor 2 Credits, 3 Contact Hours
1 lecture period 2 lab periods
Gain knowledge necessary to prepare for a nationally accredited certification exam as a group fitness instructor. Includes introduction to group fitness class and to the certified group fitness instructor.
Prerequisite(s): Completion of or concurrent enrollment in: FSS 234 or FSS 234A or FSS 234B .
Information: This course requires physical activity and is intended for students pursuing the Fitness Professional certificate program.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Differentiate between various teaching styles, methods, and cueing.
- Demonstrate teaching a group fitness class including warm-up, cool-down and modifications.
- Observe various group fitness classes and evaluate them according to specific criteria.
- Identify the professional responsibilities and legal obligations when providing fitness activities to individuals and groups.
- Introduction to Group Fitness Class
- Introduction to the Certified Group Fitness Instructor
- Principles of pre-class preparation and participant monitoring and evaluation
- Group exercise program design
- Teaching a group exercise class
- Free-style vs. structured combinations
- Combination building
- Counting music phrases
- Music selection considerations
- Cueing techniques
- Principles of adherence and motivation
- Exercise and special populations
- Exercise and pregnancy
- Prevention and management of common injuries
- Emergency procedures
- Business of group fitness
- Legal and professional responsibilities
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)