Jan 27, 2023
FSS 184 - Theory of Coaching Football 2 Credits, 2 Contact Hours
2 lecture periods 0 lab periods
Instruction in the theory of coaching football including techniques, methods, and ideas. Includes introduction, role of the coach, program development, and fundamentals and techniques.
Recommendation: Participation on a football team or league and some knowledge of the game before enrolling in this course.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Develop a coaching philosophy statement by evaluating various coaching strategies.
- Formulate individual ideas for coaching football and teaching intermediate or advanced concepts and performance skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to establish a practice plan.
- Demonstrate the ability to establish a game plan.
- Demonstrate familiarity with the methodology of the Positive Coaching Alliance.
- History of football
- Developing a coaching philosophy and style of coaching
- The Positive Coaching Alliance methodology
- Youth sports
- Role of the Coach
- Coaching responsibilities
- Planning for the competitive year
- Strength and conditioning for pre-season, season, and off-season
- Tryouts and evaluating talent plus recognizing intangibles
- Team selection
- Developing a comprehensive practice plan
- Program Development
- Coaching development
- Assistant coaches and the right fit
- Administration/head coaches role as CEO
- Parental issues
- Game planning and protocol
- Fundamentals and Techniques
- Positional offensive fundamentals and techniques
- Positional defensive fundamentals and techniques
- Positional and team offensive tactics
- Positional and team defensive tactics
- Offensive strategies/transferring practice performance to games
- Defensive strategies/transferring practice performance to games
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)