Oct 05, 2022
CUL 260 - Pastry Arts II 3 Credits, 5 Contact Hours
1 lecture period 4 lab periods
Advanced theory and practice of operating a bakery or pastry shop in a hotel or restaurant kitchen. Includes planning, ordering, and scheduling for bakery production; safety and sanitation; and bakery and pastry vocabulary. Also includes advanced yeast breads; classic French pastries; ice cream and frozen desserts; pastry assembly; pastry garnishes; and complex plated desserts.
Prerequisite(s): CUL 160
Corequisite(s): CUL 251
Course Learning Outcomes
- Describe and execute the planning, ordering, and scheduling required in a commercial bakeshop.
- Identify, describe, and implement proper food safety and sanitation procedures required of bakery personnel in the operation of a commercial bakeshop.
- Define and use baking and pastry terminology, including English and non-English vocabulary.
- Identify, describe, and produce a variety of advanced yeast breads.
- Identify, describe, and produce a variety of classic French pastries.
- Identify, describe, and produce a variety of ice creams and frozen desserts.
- Assemble a variety of pastries from prepared dough, creams, custards and cakes.
- Identify, describe and produce a variety of advanced pastry garnishes.
- Produce complex plated desserts for restaurant and banquet service.
- Planning, Ordering, and Scheduling for Bakeshop Production
- Safety and Sanitation
- Tools and equipment
- Food storage
- Food workers’ personal hygiene
- Bakery and Pastry Vocabulary
- Value and use of terminology
- Professional jargon
- International lexicon
- Advanced Yeast Breads
- Danish pastry
- Classic French Pastries
- St. Honore
- Petit Fours
- Ice Cream and Frozen Desserts
- Ice cream
- Assembling Pastries
- Use of prepared dough, creams, custards, and cakes
- Selecting pastry components
- Assembly skills
- Pastry Garnishes
- Advanced piping techniques
- Tempered chocolate decorations
- Poured and spun sugar
- Complex Plated Desserts
- Dessert sauces
- Use in decoration
- Chocolate garnishes
- Sugar garnishes
Full Academic Year 2019/20
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)