Mar 21, 2023
CIS 120 - Computer Applications for Business [SUN# CIS 1120] 4 Credits, 5 Contact Hours
3 lecture periods 2 lab periods
Introduction to computer information systems and applications with an emphasis on Microsoft applications, especially Microsoft Excel. Students will develop an awareness of the critical thinking, quantitative analysis and qualitative assessment skills that serve as the foundation for the effective and ethical use of information as part of an informed business or personal decision.
Prerequisite(s): MAT 092 or higher or satisfactory score on the mathematics assessment exam.
Gen-Ed: Meets AGEC - Options; Meets CTE - Options.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate problem solving using application software, and the Internet.
- Demonstrate proficiency with spreadsheet software (Microsoft Excel) to solve business problems. This proficiency will be demonstrated by multiple lab assignments which will focus on business problem solving with an emphasis on analysis techniques, algorithmic design, and implementation.
- Demonstrate proficiency with using visual presentation software (Microsoft PowerPoint), word processing documents (Microsoft Word) and database management software (Microsoft Access) to organize, present and store business solutions and information.
- Use the Internet to research and analyze information and data in case studies.
- Demonstrate proficiency in building a basic Web page.
- Discuss laws and ethics related to computer use.
- Discuss network topology and security; explain the Internet effect on the globalization of business and social networks from the perspective of business.
- Business Application Tools -Excel
- Create, edit and format spreadsheets
- Create and modify formulas using absolute, mixed and relative cell reference
- Use Excel functions
- Create and modify charts
- Name cells and ranges
- Table management
- Import data
- Database functions
- Create, refresh, and delete
- Pivot tables
- Pivot charts
- Business problem solving
- Analysis of problems
- Critical thinking
- Design of charts, and tables to highlight business information
- Analysis of existing data represented in excel
- Business Application Tools -Access
- File management
- Create, design, normalize, join tables
- Design, manage, filter, sort data
- Query using Structured Query Language (SQL)
- Report generation
- Pivot table
- Business Application Tools -Word
- Editing and formatting
- Excel Charts
- Creating and modifying
- Table of content
- Labels and mailers for business literature
- Business Application Tools -PowerPoint
- Templates and master slides
- Other topics
- Network Security and data integrity
- Information systems role in business
- Research using the Internet
- Planning and implementing technology solutions
- Social Networking as a business tool
- Internet Security
- Viruses and malware
- Internet fraud
- Identify theft
- Intellectual property rights
- Internet Case studies
- Principles of e-commerce
- Effect on business
- Cloud computing
- Social and ethical issues
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)