BCT 290 - Building and Construction Technologies Capstone
4 Credits, 10 Contact Hours
1 lecture period 9 lab periods
Supervised workplace placement in the building construction trades field. Includes the application of building construction concepts and techniques. Also includes critical thinking, problem solving, personnel management, leadership, oral and written communication skills.
Information: Student must be working toward an AAS in Applied Technology . Satisfactory completion of pathway for three semesters or instructor approval. The students’ work experience is coordinated by a member of the College’s faculty or professional staff or by staff of the contracted/contracting agency; the primary supervision is from the employer or other individual contracted to provide the experience. Contingent on the agreement between the student and the employer, students may or may not receive remuneration for workplace learning experiences. Note: This definition applies to all experiences in which the student applies concepts and practices learned previously or concurrently to facilitated observation and/or practical work situations within an occupational field. BCT course work or field experience will be necessary for success in this course. See the BCT Department Head or Discipline Coordinator for more information.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Apply technical skills as identified by recognized industry certification.
- Test theory to workplace application in the building construction trades.
- Demonstrate the ability to work as part of a team.
- Evaluate career opportunities in the construction field.
- Demonstrate the following skills: critical thinking, problem solving, personnel management, leadership, oral and written communication.
The following work experience plan and location is to be determined by the student and Department Head or Discipline Coordinator.
- Building Construction Technologies Plan
- Establish workplace placement
- Identify certification requirements
- Develop a workplace plan for internship, externship, practicum
- Building Construction Trades Application
- Determine concepts applied to learning
- Apply the concepts to the workplace environment
- Identify teamwork concepts
- Apply the teamwork concepts to the plan
- Investigate Career Opportunities
- Identify short-term career opportunities
- Identify long-term career opportunities
- Demonstrate Critical-Thinking Skills Applied to the Plan
- Problem solving
- Personnel management
- Oral communication
- Written communication
Full Academic Year 2018/19
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)