Sep 29, 2022
BCT 284 - National Electrical Code II 3 Credits, 3 Contact Hours
3 lecture periods 0 lab periods
Continuation of BCT 184 . Includes introduction to the National Electrical Code, special occupancies, special equipment, special conditions, and communication systems.
Prerequisite(s): BCT 184 or concurrent enrollment.
Information: BCT 184 and BCT 284 together provide preparation for the National Electrical Code certification exam.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Describe the scope, arrangement, definitions, and installation requirements of the code.
- Discuss the hazards of the different types of environments, facilities, buildings, and installations.
- Describe the requirements for electrical equipment, lighting accessories, and wiring systems for relocatable wired partitions.
- Determine the requirements for emergency and standby power systems, interconnected power sources, and low-voltage, low-power wiring.
- Describe the wiring requirements for communications systems.
- Introduction to the National Electrical Code
- Article 90 Introduction
- Article 100 Definitions
- Article 110 Requirements for electrical installations
- Special Occupancies
- Article 500 Hazardous (classified) locations
- Article 510 Class I hazardous (classified) locations
- Article 502 Class II hazardous (classified) locations
- Article 503 Class III hazardous (classified) locations
- Article 504 Intrinsically safe systems
- Article 511 Commercial garages, repair, and storage
- Article 513 Aircraft hangers
- Article 514 Motor fuel dispensing facilities
- Article 517 Health care facilities
- Article 518 Assembly operations
- Article 525 Carnivals, circuses, fairs, and similar events
- Article 547 Agricultural buildings
- Article 550 Mobile homes, manufactured homes, and mobile home parks
- Article 551 Recreational vehicles and recreational vehicle parks
- Article 555 Marinas and boatyards
- Article 590 Temporary installations
- Special Equipment
- Article 600 Electrical signs and outline lighting
- Article 604 Manufactured wiring systems
- Article 605 Office furnishings (wired partitions)
- Article 620 Elevators, escalators, and moving walks
- Article 625 Electric vehicle charging systems
- Article 630 Electric welders
- Article 640 Audio signal processing, amplification, and reproduction equipment
- Article 645 Information technology equipment
- Article 647 Sensitive electronic equipment
- Article 680 Swimming pools, spas, hot tubs, fountains, and similar installations
- Article 690 Solar photovoltaic systems
- Article 692 Fuel cell systems
- Article 695 Fire pumps
- Special Conditions
- Article 700 Emergency power systems
- Article 701 Legally required standby power systems
- Article 702 Optional standby power systems
- Article 720 Circuits and equipment operating at less than 50 volts
- Article 725 Class 1, class 2, and class 3 remote-control, signaling, and power-limited circuits
- Article 760 Fire alarm systems
- Article 770 Optical fiber cables and raceways
- Communication Systems
- Article 800 Communication circuits
- Article 810 Radio and television equipment
- Article 820 Community Antenna Television (CATV) and radio distribution systems
- Article 830 Network-powered broadband communication systems
Full Academic Year 2018/19
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)