Sep 21, 2023
BCT 232 - Residential and Industrial HVAC V 4 Credits, 6 Contact Hours
2 lecture periods 4 lab periods
Continuation of BCT 231 . Includes planned maintenance, water treatment, troubleshooting electronic controls, troubleshooting oil heating, troubleshooting heat pumps, and troubleshooting accessories.
Prerequisite(s): BCT 231 or concurrent enrollment.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Describe planned maintenance and service procedures required for selected HVAC equipment and components.
- Demonstrate how to test water using a water analysis test kit.
- Analyze circuit diagrams and other manufacturers’ literature to determine the operating sequence of microprocessor controlled systems.
- Describe the safety precautions that must be taken when servicing oil heating systems.
- Demonstrate how to isolate and correct malfunctions in a heat pump using the correct tools and instruments.
- Identify and properly use the service instruments needed to troubleshoot HVAC system accessories.
- Planned Maintenance
- Fossil fuel heating appliances
- Cooling units
- Heat pumps
- Water Treatment
- Water characteristics and analysis
- Problems caused by using untreated water
- Water treatment in open recirculating water systems
- Water treatment in closed recirculating water systems
- Water treatment in steam boilers and systems
- Mechanical water treatment equipment
- General water treatment procedures and guidelines
- Water treatment chemical safety precautions
- Troubleshooting Electronic Controls
- Microprocessor controls
- Troubleshooting microprocessor-controlled systems
- External causes of failure
- Electronic controls in heating systems
- Cooling systems and heat pumps
- Test instruments
- Troubleshooting Oil Heating
- Typical operation
- Oil burner troubleshooting
- Troubleshooting controls
- System troubleshooting
- Condensing oil furnaces
- Troubleshooting Heat Pumps
- Heat pump operation
- Electrical operating sequence
- Troubleshooting Accessories
- Troubleshooting approach
- Electronic air cleaners
- Ultraviolet lamps
- Economizers, zone control, and heat recovery ventilators
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)