Jul 07, 2022
ART 110 - Drawing I [SUN# ART 1111]
3 Credits, 5 Contact Hours
2 lecture periods 3 lab periods
Introduction to drawing. Includes drawing and design problems, varied use of materials and techniques, perceptual skills, critique processes with critical thinking for personal growth, analysis of professional art events or galleries, and portfolio creation.
Gen-Ed: Meets AGEC - FA; Meets CTE - A&H.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Explore and apply utilization of elements and principles of design to still-life, nature studies and figure drawing, and dealing contextually with contemporary issues.
- Explore and apply diverse drawing media, techniques, and observational skills to various subjects: still life, nature studies, figure drawing, and personal and cultural iconography.
- Discuss problems and demonstrate the processes of seeing and communicating visual ideas using drawing media.
- Evaluate and analyze work of self and others utilizing critical thinking and appropriate terminology through oral and written critique processes.
- Observe and critique professional art events or gallery exhibitions via online and/or at local venues.
- Produce a portfolio of representational drawing of various subjects from observation and imagination.
- Drawing and Design Problems
- Figure-ground relationships
- Expressive and contextual invention
- Varied Use of Materials and Techniques
- Dry media
- Wet media
- Mixed media
- Drawing methods and techniques
- Mark making
- Measurement strategies and the view finder
- Linear perspective and atmospheric perspective
- Employ media and techniques to various subjects
- Traditional genre: still-life, figure, and landscape, etc.
- Non-traditional genre and experimentation with media/techniques/subjects
- Perceptual Skill and Personal Development
- Demonstrate and apply basic observational skills, aerial, and linear perspective properties
- Explore drawing as a way of demonstrating basic diagrammatic and/or mapping communication
- Critique Process
- Participate in individual and group critiques using basic perceptual observations and visual terminology
- Utilize analytical skills through critical thinking to develop personal expression
- Engagement in and Analysis of Professional Art Events or Galleries
- Visit online or local and/or regional galleries, art events, and/or museums
- Complete written analysis per instructor guidelines
- Address contemporary professional works and/or historical works
- Portfolio Creation
- Complete series of drawings
- Select drawings for portfolio
- Presentation of selected drawings
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)