Dec 01, 2023
ARC 180 - Artifact Identif: Tucson Basin 1 Credits, 2 Contact Hours
.5 lecture periods 1.5 lab periods
Artifact Identification: Tucson Basin Introduction to the recognition, identification, and classification of the various types of artifacts recovered from local archaeological sites. Includes an overview of prehistoric ceramics in the Tucson Basin, flaked stone technology, ground stone tool identification, animal bone, marine shell artifacts and historical artifacts.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Study the artifact collections to gain an exposure to artifact types in the Tucson Basin.
- Identify the basic prehistoric artifact types: ceramics, flaked stone tools, ground stone tools, bone artifacts and shell ornaments.
- Discuss the basic Tucson Basin ceramic wares.
- Discuss the worldwide prehistoric manufacturing techniques of stone tools and ceramics.
- Identify common historical artifacts.
- Introduction to Artifact Types
- Overview of Prehistoric Ceramics in the Tucson Basin
- Ceramic Identification
- Other Ceramic Objects
- Flaked Stone Technology
- Identification of Flaked Stone Artifacts
- Classification of Flaked Stone Artifacts
- Ground Stone Tool Identification
- Miscellaneous Artifacts (Animal Bone, Shell, Etc.)
- Introduction to Historical Artifacts
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)