Mar 28, 2023
ANT 225 - Principles of Archaeology 3 Credits, 4 Contact Hours
2.5 lecture periods 1.5 lab periods
Survey of the concepts and methods which archaeologists use to reconstruct human prehistory. Includes a history of archaeology; overview of archaeological theory, discussion of methods of archaeological survey, remote sensing, and excavation; dating methods; archaeological analysis and classification; interpretation of archaeological data; and the role of archaeology in the protection of archaeological resources.
Information: Same as ARC 225 .
Course Learning Outcomes
- Discuss archaeology as a subfield of anthropology.
- Describe methods of archaeological data acquisition and analysis.
- Give examples of archaeological approaches to the interpretation of past human behavior.
- Identify ethical issues in archaeology.
- Present the results of research in archaeology.
- Discuss the historical development of the field of archaeology.
- Describe theoretical approaches in archaeology.
- Review methods of archaeological survey, remote sensing, and excavation.
- Describe methods used to date archaeological materials.
- Discuss the analysis and classification of archaeological materials.
- Explain the role of middle-level theory in archaeology.
- Summarize various approaches to the interpretation of archaeological data and the reconstruction of past human behavior.
- Discuss the role of archaeology in protecting, interpreting, and managing cultural resources.
- History of Archaeology
- Theoretical approaches in archaeology
- The scientific method in archaeology
- Processual archaeology
- Post-processual archaeology
- Method and Techniques of Archaeological Survey, Remote Sensing, and Excavation
- Archaeological Dating Methods
- Archaeological Analysis and Classification
- Analysis of archaeological materials
- Classification of archaeological materials
- Middle-Level Archaeological Research
- Experimental archaeology
- Interpretation of Archaeological Data and Reconstruction of Past Human Behavior
- Social and political systems
- Ideology and symbols
- Cultural evolution
- Historical archaeology
- Archaeology and Cultural Resources
- Preservation of the Archaeological Record
- Cultural resource management
- Ethical Considerations
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)