Mar 28, 2023
ASL 050 - Conversational Sign Language I 3 Credits, 3 Contact Hours
3 lecture periods 0 lab periods
Introduction to conversational sign language skills. Includes basic sign vocabulary, d/Deaf culture, and an overview of communications systems.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate basic expressive and receptive skills in conversational American Sign Language (ASL).
- Perform and demonstrate a comprehension of a minimum of 300 signs.
- Demonstrate correct execution of the manual alphabet and numbers from 1 to 1,000.
- Demonstrate comprehension of 3-letter fingerspelled words.
- Identify the various communication systems used within the Deaf community.
- Manual Alphabet
- 26 handshapes
- Proper placement
- Proper transitions between words
- Numbers (1-1000)
- Communication Systems
- American Sign Language
- Manually coded English systems
- Pidgin sign English
- Oral systems
- Sentence Types
- Basic sentence structures
- Question forms
- Personal information
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)