Feb 07, 2023
AIS 101 - Introduction to American Indian Studies 3 Credits, 3 Contact Hours
3 lecture periods 0 lab periods
Examination of the diversity of American Indian tribes. Includes origins and traditions, Native American cultures and geographic subsistence, women’s roles and responsibilities, spirituality and world views, and values and value systems. Also includes early education, socialization, and importance of extended family, history of tribal sovereignty and governance, health and curing, and encounters and reactions with early Europeans.
Gen-Ed: Gen Ed: Meets AGEC - SBS and C, G; Meets CTE - SBS and C, G.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Identify and differentiate between the diverse tribes of the United States.
- Locate, trace, and describe the movements of tribes and contrast their environmental impact on the sites.
- Explain Native American Women’s roles and responsibilities.
- Describe the importance of ceremonies, spirituality, and rituals of Native Americans.
- Describe Native values and value systems
- Differentiate between the early educational systems.
- Compare the tribal histories and philosophies.
- Discuss concepts related to Native health and curing
- Compare, contrast, and criticize the attitudes and reactions to early encounters and the later encounters with Euro-Americans.
- Origins and Oral Traditions
- Native American Cultures and Geographic Subsistence
- Women’s Roles and Responsibilities
- Native American Spirituality and World Views
- Sacred homelands
- Ceremony and ritual
- Native Values and Value Systems
- Early Education, Socialization, and Importance of Extended Family
- History of Tribal Sovereignty and Governance
- Native Health and Curing
- Old age
- The elderly
- Encounters and Reactions With Europeans
- Europeans and values about land and materialism
- The Vikings 900 A.D.-1400 A.D.
- The Spanish and Christopher Columbus 1492 A.D. – 1821 A.D.
- Culture, value conflicts, colonialism
- Causes of depopulation of America
- Early integration of European values and customs
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)