Sep 29, 2022
AUV 101 - Introduction to Autonomous Vehicles 2 Credits, 2 Contact Hours
2 lecture periods 0 lab periods
Introduction to autonomous vehicles (AV). Includes history of AV, levels of autonomy, introduction to the technology utilized, ethics, laws, and security.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Describe the autonomous vehicle technology and the necessary systems security consideration.
- Describe the ethical and legal considerations of autonomous vehicles.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of the levels of autonomy.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of the history and benefits of autonomous vehicles.
- Demonstrate effective written and verbal communication.
- Practice troubleshooting information.
- History of Autonomous Vehicles (AV)
- Applications in the following industries:
- Passenger car
- Trucking industries
- Emerging technologies
- Levels of Autonomy and the Definitions
- Identify, compare and contrast the various levels of autonomy
- Autonomous Vehicles and Smart Cities
- The impact of autonomous vehicles on infrastructure
- Benefits of AV
- Safety implications
- Capacity implications
- AV Technology
- Light Detection and Ranging (LIDAR)
- Global Positioning System (GPS)
- Compare and contrast technologies utilized in industry
- Real-time – Simultaneous Localization and Mapping (SLAM)
- Ethical Considerations
- Driver in-vehicle
- Crash case studies
- Driver out-of-vehicle
- Crisis decision-making
- Workforce Implications
- Teams/single person/full driverless
- Off-vehicle jobs in support of full driverless
- Systems Security
- Access control
- Basic computer security
- Specified system Internet Protocol (IP) addresses
- Systems containment
- Troubleshooting Autonomous Vehicle Operations
- Principles of troubleshooting
- Verbal and written communication
- Physical Security
- Access control
- Bullying/crowding vehicle
- State laws regarding autonomous vehicles
- Law enforcement – ticket issuance
- Commercial Vehicle Driving
- Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
- Hours of Service implications
- Roadside inspections
- Human Trafficking
Full Academic Year 2019/20
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)