Jan 25, 2022
THE 245 - Principles of Dramatic Structure [SUN# THE 2220] 3 Credits, 3 Contact Hours
3 lecture periods 0 lab periods
Examination and analysis of the structural elements of major dramatic genres. Includes reading the play, stage directions, characters and personages, plot and diction, the actor’s body, and the play within context.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Analyze the major structural elements of dramatic literature, forms, and styles.
- Examine major themes in dramatic literature including different genres and periods.
- Analyze character from the play script within different theatrical genres.
- Examine dramatic literature for language and poetic elements.
- Examine theories of dramatic criticism as they relate to cultural context of different dramatic forms.
- Reading the Play
- Stage Directions
- Characters and Personages
- Expectations about the character
- Mapping characters
- Developing aspects of the character
- Character articulation
- Plot and Diction
- Plot, action, and situation
- Story, plot, and narration
- Character and scenes
- The Actor’s Body/Stage Directions
- The Play Within Context
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)