STU 105 - Math Success Skills
1 Credits, 1 Contact Hours
1 lecture period 0 lab periods
Confidence and skills to successfully master math classes. Includes personal learning styles, identifying math degree requirements and designing the course sequences necessary for graduation. Also includes strategies to reduce anxiety with math and test taking.
Corequisite(s): ICS 081
Course Learning Outcomes
- Apply learning styles to math study skills.
- Develop memory building strategies.
- Develop effective math study skills.
- Identify characteristics, causes and misconceptions related to math anxiety.
- Identify strategies to overcome math and test anxiety.
- Design math sequence to complete program of study.
- Learning Style and Math Study Skills
- Learning styles
- Learning styles and math study skills
- Math myths – Creating a positive attitude towards math
- Develop Memory Building Strategies
- Short-term and long-term memory
- Memory building strategies
- Basic math facts recall
- Effective Math Study Skills
- Prepare for exams
- Test taking skills
- Characteristics of anxiety
- Causes of anxiety
- Current research on anxiety (academic and test taking)
VII. Reducing Anxiety
- Strategies to reduce math and test anxiety
- Identify Math Sequence to Complete Program of Study
- Design education plan to include math sequence to meet graduation requirements
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)