Oct 05, 2022
SSE 292 - Social Services Field Experience 4 Credits, 10 Contact Hours
1 lecture period 9 lab periods
Supervised placement in a community social service agency. Includes regular supervisory service with agency supervisors, orientation to agencies and organizations in the community, evaluation of student performance, site visits, assistance with resume writing, classroom seminars, and completion of written assignments and documentation.
Prerequisite(s): SSE 281 and SSE 285 (or concurrent enrollment in SSE 285 ).
Information: This course requires 135 hours of supervised placement in a social service agency. Students pursuing the AAS Substance Use Disorders Specialty must complete the supervised placement in an agency addressing substance use disorders. May be taken two times for a maximum of eight credit hours. If this course is repeated see a financial aid or Veteran’s Affairs advisor to determine funding eligibility as appropriate. Consent of instructor is required before enrolling in this course.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Function within a social services agency, including following agency policies and procedures, completing assigned tasks, using knowledge and skills learned in class to serve and/or advocate with clients, utilizing supervision for feedback and improvement, and completing record keeping and documentation requirements of the agency. (EPAS 1, 2, 3, 9)
- Analyze and evaluate a social services agency, including structure, function, staffing, funding, clientele, programs and services, and the role of professionals and paraprofessionals in the social service setting. (EPAS 1, 8, 9, 10)
- Apply the principles, values, ethics, methods, concepts, theories, strategies and techniques of the social work profession to the reality of a personal experience in an internship in a social services agency.
(EPAS 4, 6,10)
- Analyze the internship within the context of the overall educational experience and preparation to become a social services worker, including readiness to participate in job seeking in the field after graduation.
- Placement in an Appropriate Social Service Agency for Up to 9 Hours Per Week
- Regular Supervision Service with Agency Supervisor with Site Visits by Instructor
- Classroom Seminars
- Completion of Written Assignments
- Agency structure
- Other agencies
- Orientation to Agencies in the Community by Agency Supervisory and Instructor
- Evaluation of Student Performance by Agency Supervisor
- Assistance with Resume Writing & Job Seeking Skills
Full Academic Year 2017/18
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)