Aug 09, 2022
SSE 220 - Treatment of Behavioral Health and Substance Use Disorders 3 Credits, 3 Contact Hours
3 lecture periods 0 lab periods
Principles and techniques of treating behavioral health and substance use disorders. Includes definition and dynamics of behavioral health and substance use disorders, treatment continuum, treatment models or modalities, treatment plans, case studies, medication and withdrawal, value clarification, and integration of treatment and case management skills.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Identify the legal, ethical and cultural considerations of behavioral health and substance use disorders, including diagnosis, assessment, types of treatment, treatment effectiveness, and current issues in treatment. (Council on Social Work Education [CSWE] Competencies 4 and 5)
- Identify the treatment continuum for behavioral health and substance use disorders, including psychosocial assessment, treatment planning, motivational interviewing, de-escalation techniques, relapse prevention, recovery support, family treatment, codependency and family issues and adjunctive and drug specific treatments. (CSWE Competencies 4 and 5)
- Identify evidence based behavioral health and substance use disorder treatment models or modalities in an integrated care system. (CSWE Competencies 4 and 5)
- Evaluate a local or national behavioral health or substance use disorder treatment model or modality in depth, including the theoretical and therapeutic approaches used, specific techniques used, success rates, and outcome studies. (CSWE Competencies 4 and 5)
- Describe the functioning of a local behavioral health or substance use disorders treatment/recovery group, including the group interaction and an overall assessment of the effectiveness of the meeting experience. (CSWE Competencies 1, 2 and 6)
- Describe the conditions under which a person’s behavioral health diagnosis or use of substances is considered a problem.
- Describe various programs for behavioral health disorders and describe the similarities/differences of specific programs.
- Describe the most important aspects of withdrawal symptoms as related to drug and alcohol use, including addiction issues with prescribed medications and drug interactions.
- Describe a therapeutic community and its characteristics.
- Describe characteristics of inpatient and outpatient behavioral health services.
- Assess client problems, prepare a psychosocial history, and convert them into treatment goals/ objectives.
- Perform client-centered interviews with persons with behavioral health disorders. Integrate casework skills and treatment knowledge.
- Apply theoretical helping strategies to the treatment of behavioral health and substance use disorders.
- Explain the role of the helper in the intervention and treatment process.
- Identify values and value conflicts in treating behavioral health and substance use disorders.
- Develop skills in advocacy on behalf of clients.
- Identify cultural competencies and strategies as applied to special populations: women, adult offenders, and the dually diagnosed, and discuss diversity crisis counseling.
- Use crisis intervention specific counseling techniques – de-escalation, problem solving techniques, social systems, and therapeutic communication.
- Determine how to access local resources for persons with a behavioral health diagnosis, substance use disorder, or co-occurring disorders.
- Incorporate the use of technology in assessment and writing formal reports.
- Legal, Ethical and Cultural Considerations in the Treatment of Behavioral Health and Substance Use Disorders
- Diagnosis and assessment
- Treatment approaches and their effectiveness
- Causes of behavioral health and substance use disorders
- Impact of trauma
- Individual level
- Social level
- Current issues in treatment
- Treatment Continuum
- Psychosocial assessment
- Motivational interviewing
- De-escalation techniques
- Treatment planning
- Relapse prevention
- Recovery support
- Family treatment, codependency, family issues
- Adjunctive and drug specific treatments
- Treatment Models or Modalities - Evidence Based
- Treatment Plans in the Context of Integrated Care
- Setting goals
- Setting objectives
- Writing treatment plans
- Case Studies
- Withdrawal and Drug Interaction
- Value Clarification
- Integration of Treatment and Case Management Skills
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)