Aug 09, 2022
SSE 111 - Group Work 3 Credits, 3 Contact Hours
3 lecture periods 0 lab periods
Examination of group dynamics using experiential learning. Includes goals, communication patterns, leadership, power and influence, decision-making, conflict resolution, controversy, creativity, problem solving, diversity, and personal growth within groups. Also includes application of concepts through observation, group exercises, and case studies.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Identify the basic concepts and theories of group dynamics. (Council on Social Work Education [CSWE] Competencies 4 and 6)
- Practice effective oral and written communication skills in facilitating groups. (CSWE Competencies 1 and 6)
- Illustrate ability to work effectively in a team. (CSWE Competencies 1, 2 and 6)
- Practice personal reflection and self-correction in the development of self-awareness and the ability to give and receive supervision and consultation. (CSWE Competencies 1, 2 and 6)
Define the experiential learning cycle and the role of self-reflection to guide learning.
- Define and establish group goals and individual goals.
- Compare, contrast, and experience different theories and styles of leadership and their effect on groups.
- Compare and contrast group decision-making methods.
- Define and utilize methods to improve group cohesion.
- Discuss stages of group development and their importance to understanding groups.
- Identify the psychological benefits of group membership.
- Define diversity and its effects on groups and identify procedures groups can use to ensure that diversity is a resource and not a hindrance.
- Design, facilitate, and observe group exercises.
- Work in a team to develop, present, and lead a class.
- Experiential Learning
- Group Dynamics and Processes
- Communication Patterns and Their Effect on Groups
- Group Goals vs. Individual Goals
- Leadership Styles and Leadership Theory
- Decision Making Methods and Their Uses
- Conflict, Controversy, and Power in Groups
- The Use of Creativity in Groups
- Valuing and Managing Diversity in Groups
- Ways to Build Group Cohesion
- Designing Team Building Exercises
- Assignment of Students to Facilitate Structured Group Exercises
- Skills of a Learning or Discussion Group Facilitator and Growth/Counseling Group Facilitator
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)