Jan 27, 2023
REA 112 - Critical Reading 4 Credits, 4 Contact Hours
4 lecture periods 0 lab periods
Development of college reading strategies. Includes comprehension strategies at the college level, critical reading and thinking, information literacy, vocabulary development, and advanced study strategies.
Prerequisite(s): Requires both Reading and Writing prerequisites. Reading: ESL 088RV with a B or better, or REA 091 with a C or better, or required score on the Reading assessment. Writing: ESL 088WG with a B or better, or WRT 070 with a C or better, or required score on the Writing assessment.
Information: Student may be admitted with instructor recommendation.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Analyze material at the college level using text- and discipline-based inferencing.
- Apply a variety of critical reading and thinking strategies to a wide variety of college-level reading materials.
- Apply information literacy strategies.
- Use study strategies with content-area textbooks to improve comprehension/retention of information.
- Comprehension Strategies at the College Level
- Analyze, interpret, and evaluate college level material
- Synthesize information from multiple sources
- Expand vocabulary
- Critical Reading and Thinking
- Understand and differentiate between observations, interpretations and facts
- Recognize and identify assumptions and biases
- Explore diverse perspectives and points of view
- Explore errors in reasoning
- Recognize, analyze and evaluate the soundness of arguments
- Weigh and evaluate evidence and draw conclusions
- Information Literacy
- Implement informational search strategies to locate a variety of sources
- Evaluate websites
- Advanced Study Strategies
- Select, apply and evaluate textbook study strategies such as the following
- Before reading activate prior knowledge, set a purpose, preview text structure
- During reading highlight, annotate, take notes, monitor comprehension
- After reading: summarize, make concept cards, create question/answer sheets, create practice exams, construct study guidelines
- Developing and practicing test taking strategies
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)