Dec 06, 2021
PAR 212 - Law Office Computerization 3 Credits, 3 Contact Hours
3 lecture periods 0 lab periods
Application of computer software in a legal field. Includes computer hardware and software, word processing applications, database management systems, spreadsheet software, law office management, automated litigation support, telecommunications, and specialized legal software for the preparation of legal documents and document organization.
Prerequisite(s): PAR 101
Information: Prerequisites may be waived if employed in a legal-related field; see a PAR advisor or course instructor.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Identify how computer technology is used in the legal environment including ethical considerations.
- Demonstrate applications of word processing functions in the legal environment.
- Discuss applications of spreadsheet functions in the legal environment.
- Discuss applications of database functions in the legal environment.
- Identify various law office management applications such as timekeeping, billing, case management, and docket control.
- Use litigation support system software such as retrieval and document abstracts.
- Describe how to access court records and e-file documents.
- Describe the automated courtroom and the usage of presentation graphics.
- Describe availability of computer software in specialty areas of law.
- Law Office Technology
- Overview of computer technology in the legal environment
- Legal ethics and computer technology
- Word Processing Applications in the Legal Environment
- Word processing functions
- Ethical problems related to word processing
- Preparation of legal documents
- Spreadsheet Utilization in the Legal Environment
- Spreadsheet functions
- Calculating damages
- Using spreadsheets to analyze financial data
- Database Management Systems in the Legal Environment
- Database functions
- How to plan a legal database
- Sorting and retrieving information
- Preparing reports
- Law Office Management Applications
- Legal timekeeping and client billing software
- Docket control software
- Case management functions
- Law office records management
- Litigation Support Software
- Litigation support functions
- Document abstract functions
- Full-text retrieval functions and uses
- Electronic Courthouse
- Accessing court records
- E-filing of documents
- Automated Courtroom
- Presentation graphics software in the legal environment
- Evidence display systems
- Specialized Legal Software
- Availability for specialty areas of law
- Purchasing considerations
Full Academic Year 2018/2019
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)