Sep 29, 2023
MUS 154 - Jazz Improvisation 1 Credits, 3 Contact Hours
0 lecture periods 3 lab periods
Study of jazz improvisation on various instruments. Includes rhythmic, melodic, and harmonic aspects of jazz styles. Also includes an emphasis on progressive development of musical skills through interpretation of literature.
Information: May be taken to times for a maximum of two credit hours. If this course is repeated, see a financial aid or Veteran’s Affairs advisor to determine funding eligibility as appropriate.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Develop a conceptual approach to jazz improvisation.
- Demonstrate basic abilities to improvise.
- Experience playing a set of standards (tunes) in the jazz idiom.
- Rhythmic Awareness in the Jazz Idiom
- Melodic Development in Relation to Modes
- Fundamental Understanding of Chords
- Perform Jazz Compositions with Improvisation
Full Academic Year 2019/2020
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)