Dec 03, 2021
MLT 199 - Introductory Co-op: Phlebotomy Lab Assisting 1.5 Credits, 1.5 Contact Hours
1.5 lecture periods 0 lab periods
Principles of job success in a medical lab setting. Includes laboratory workplace skills, communication skills, time and energy management, managing stress, career information, and preparing for employment. Also includes principles, theories, and practices in the career field; and problems in the work situation.
Prerequisite(s): MLT 100IN (or MLT 100 and MLT 100LB ).
Corequisite(s): MLT 199WK
Information: Consent of instructor is required before enrolling in this course.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Employ good oral and written communication skills.
- Apply techniques for managing time, stress, and energy for job efficiency.
- Create a resume and cover letter for use when applying for laboratory jobs.
- Evaluate and practice established HIPAA privacy and safety practices in the laboratory
- Laboratory Workplace Skills
- Culture, attitudes, and etiquette
- Communication Skills
- Importance in job success
- Developing oral and listening skills
- Developing written skills
- Time and Energy Management
- Identifying resources and their uses
- Techniques for managing job efficiency
- Prioritize workload
- Managing Stress
- Characteristics and causes of stress
- Techniques for managing job stress
- Career Information
- Review of career in field of study
- Sources of career information
- Uses of career information
- Career objectives and plans
- Preparing for Employment
- Identifying varied job markets and selecting job markets appropriate to your career objectives and plans
- Aspects of presenting oneself for employment
- Job information
- Resume writing
- Principles, Theories, and Practices in the Career Field
- Application in the work situation
- Ongoing discussion
- Understanding through application
- Problems in the Work Situation
- Problem types identified
- Ways of dealing with problems encountered – ongoing discussion each session
Full Academic Year 2018/19
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)