JRN 285 - Advanced News Publication
3 Credits, 4 Contact Hours
2 lecture periods 2 lab periods
Continuation of JRN 185 . Advanced work on print and online publication of the college’s biweekly student newspaper. Includes news coverage; qualities of high-level writing, reporting, and copy editing; research and the use of computers, newsroom management, page design, and newspaper legal and ethical considerations.
Prerequisite(s): JRN 185
Information: This course meets for a combination of lecture and lab. Additional open lab time is available for students. May be taken three times for a maximum of nine credit hours. If this course is repeated, see a financial aid or Veteran’s Affairs advisor to determine funding eligibility as appropriate.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Construct and write under deadline pressure accurate, properly sourced, well-organized high-level news feature stories, analyses, and reviews using interpretive abilities to apply the inverted pyramid and other organizational formats, Associated Press style and Aztec Press style.
- Take story-telling photographs, write captions that include appropriate identification of photographic subjects, and use the Aztec Press system for storing and processing photos.
- Record advanced-level video and/or audio, edit for maximum story-telling appeal and use the Aztec Press system for storing/uploading completed material.
- Edit copy, write headlines and cutlines, and design story packages using advanced techniques of page design software.
- Synthesize and apply advanced tenets of media law, journalistic ethics, and taste.
- Explain the newsroom management needed to publish a newspaper including an organizational structure, business operations, and human relations.
- Advanced News Coverage
- Internet and traditional sources
- Note taking
- Interview skills
- Qualities of High-Level Writing
- Information analysis
- Information assessment
- Information organization
- Qualities of High-Level Reporting
- News publication construction
- Writing under a deadline
- Qualities of High-Level Copy Editing
- Advanced research and sources
- Advanced level writing
- Advanced Research and Use of Computers
- Print and W.W.W. research
- Page design software
- Photo/video software
- Online publishing
- Advanced Newsroom Management
- Job descriptions
- Business of newspapers
- Human relations and communications
- Advanced Page Design
- Modular design
- Newspaper Legal Considerations
- Advanced understanding of libel
- Advanced understanding of privacy
- Advanced understanding of Freedom of Information Act
- Ethical Considerations
- Advanced understanding of sources
- Advanced understanding of advocacy
- Advanced understanding of role of opinions
Full Academic Year 2019/2020
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)