Dec 01, 2023
HIS 122 - Tohono O’odham History and Culture 3 Credits, 3 Contact Hours
3 lecture periods 0 lab periods
Survey of Tohono O’odham culture, historical development, and modern issues. Includes development of culture and world view, sources of Tohono O’odham history, role in economic and social development of Northwestern Mexico and Southwestern United States, and contemporary Tohono O’odham issues.
Information: Same as AIS 122 .
Gen-Ed: Meets AGEC - HUM or SBS and C, G; Meets CTE - A&H or SBS and C, G.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Describe the development of the Tohono O’odham culture and world view.
- Analyze the sources of Tohono O’odham history.
- Discuss the role Tohono O’odham played in the economic and social development of Northwestern Mexico and Southwestern United States.
- Examine contemporary Tohono O’odham issues.
- Development of Culture and World View
- Personal identity
- Explanations of culture and world view
- Sources of Tohono O’odham History
- Oral tradition
- Critical writing and analysis of historical sources
- Role in Economic and Social Development of Northwestern Mexico and Southwestern United States
- Colonial Spain
- Jesuits in the land of the Tohono O’odham
- Spain and Primeria Alta
- Indian revolt to1620
- Expulsion of Jesuits and arrival of Franciscans
- Mexican Period
- 19th century United States Indian policy
- John Collier, the Indian Reorganization Act and Tohono O’odham National Constitutional Restructuring
- Critical writing about economic and social developments
- Contemporary Tohono O’odham Issues
- Mexico border problems
- National tribal laws
- Jurisdictional issues
- Indian gaming
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)