Dec 02, 2021
HIT 202 - Advanced Classification Systems Applications 3 Credits, 5 Contact Hours
2 lecture periods 3 lab periods
Advanced application and demonstration of coding skills. Includes use of references and source documents for International Classification of Diseases Clinical Modification and Procedural Coding System (ICD-CM and PCS), Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) coding and evaluation, Uniform Hospital Discharge Data Set (UHDDS), and Diagnostic-Related Group (DRG) guidelines and regulations.
Prerequisite(s): HIT 101 and HIT 102 .
Course Learning Outcomes
- Apply and evaluate the accuracy of diagnosis/procedural coding according to current guidelines.
- Apply and evaluate the accuracy of diagnostic/procedural groupings.
- Analyze current regulations and established guidelines in clinical classification systems.
- Determine accuracy of computer assisted coding assignments and recommend corrective action.
- Develop appropriate physician queries to resolve data and coding discrepancies.
- Use reference materials and other resources to ensure coding accuracy.
- Identify appropriate code sets and guidelines used in a variety of health care settings.
- Analyze a coding compliance program.
- Analyze current regulations in clinical classification systems.
- Apply guidelines in selecting a principal diagnosis, principal procedure, and sequencing codes.
- Assign diagnosis and procedure codes in a variety of health care settings.
- Analyze surgical, laboratory, therapeutic and other hospital source documents to determine services that can be coded.
- Abstract data from medical chart in order to select proper diagnostic and procedure codes.
- Evaluate the accuracy and completeness of diagnostic and procedural coding.
- Apply diagnostic and procedural groupings.
- Evaluate the accuracy of diagnostic and procedural groupings.
- Develop physician queries to resolve data and coding discrepancies.
- Coding Reference Materials
- Coding Clinic
- Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting
- Federal regulations
- Professional resources
- Clinical Classification Systems
- ICD-10-CM and PCS
- ICD for Oncology (ICD-0)
- Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS)
- Systemized Nomenclature of Medicine Clinical Terminology (SNOMED)
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM)
- Coding Compliance Program
- Coding and corporate compliance
- Compliance guidelines
- Policies and procedures
- Auditing tools
- Physician queries
- Current Regulations in Clinical Classification Systems
- Medicare Severity Diagnosis-Related Groups (MS-DRGs)
- Resource-Based Relative Value Scale (RBRVS) System
- Skilled Nursing Facility Prospective Payment System (SNF PPS)
- Outpatient Prospective Payment System (OPPS)
- Ambulatory Surgery Center Prospective Payment System (ASC PPS)
- Home Health Prospective Payment System (HH PPS)
- Long-Term Care Hospital (LTCH) Prospective Payment System (PPS)
- Coding Guidelines
- Interpretation of guidelines
- Principal diagnosis
- Reporting additional diagnoses
- ICD Coding
- Diagnosis coding
- Procedure coding
- Abstracting Data
- Medical chart content
- Chart content
- Use of medical record and reports to ensure quality control and management
- Diagnosis-Related Groups
- MS-DRG Assignment
- Complications and Comorbidities
- Case-Mix Index
- Present on Admission
Full Academic Year 2017/18
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)